Fatherland II & Joint CW Tech-Tre

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fatherland II & Joint CW Tech-Tre

This form is intended to be a platform for the developers of Fatherland II, a modification for Hearts of Iron 3, and those who are interested in contributing with ideas.

5 posters

Should we stick with the approach of using only battalions?

Karelian
    Karelian

Should we stick with the approach of using only battalions? Empty Should we stick with the approach of using only battalions?

Post  Karelian Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:38 pm

I've been lately testing my the tech effects of the planned land doctrines and altering unit stats to test battalion-level combat as well.
    At this stage I'm closely following Bullfrog's mod, since the approach of mixing brigade/regiment-sized units with battalions does have it's benefits, most importantly in keeping the number of in-game units low enough. The most encouraging thing of this mod is however the fact that it proves that unit scales can be successfully scaled down. Whether we should follow a similar route is another matter, though.
    Black Guardian
    Black Guardian
    Admin

Should we stick with the approach of using only battalions? Empty Re: Should we stick with the approach of using only battalions?

Post  Black Guardian Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:12 pm

After gaining a little bit playing-experience, I have to agree that Bataillons are not a proper base - To be honest, I already wanted to criticize our former approach earlier than you did, but I was to lazy to post it here and kept it in my mind... Same goes for my belated answer, by the way. Read it but did not answer instantly. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, you are not alone with your impression. It is already difficult enough to manage so many divisions in the game - if you take regiments as regular basis, this number would just triple or more. Too much.
    Karelian
    Karelian

Should we stick with the approach of using only battalions? Empty Re: Should we stick with the approach of using only battalions?

Post  Karelian Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:39 pm

Black Guardian wrote:After gaining a little bit playing-experience, I have to agree that Bataillons are not a proper base - To be honest, I already wanted to criticize our former approach earlier than you did, but I was to lazy to post it here and kept it in my mind... Same goes for my belated answer, by the way. Read it but did not answer instantly. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, you are not alone with your impression. It is already difficult enough to manage so many divisions in the game - if you take regiments as regular basis, this number would just triple or more. Too much.

Gaining more actual gaming experience has affected to my own opinions as well - theory and practice are still two different things after all. I'll nevertheless now test this previously mentioned mod further to see how it plays out with late-war mass armies - if the engine can handle the hordes of extra support units in late WWII-era, (namely the 1944-scenario once the modified OOBs are in place) then smaller-scale Cold War warfare should work out ok as well.

edit: And in this case we could still retain the original idea of having more in-game usage for units like AT and AA.
    Karelian
    Karelian

Post  Karelian Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:57 pm

It seems that the lure of the battalions has been too much for others as well:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455193
    Most impressive work so far, definitively worth to take a look.
    Simples...
    Simples...

Post  Simples... Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:52 pm

The problem of Madprofmike work will be the performance of the game. The engine after 1941 or 1942 will blow because of the several number of units. You have to multiply, the number of units.
    brad1

Post  brad1 Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:20 pm

I definitely think that the brigade system is perfect for the scale of this game. Honestly, I would hate it if the scale is lowered.
    Karelian
    Karelian

Post  Karelian Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:51 pm

Worry not, there won´t be battalion-level rescaling - practice has shown that it would turn the game into micromanagement hell without bringing significant benefits in return.
    General Baker
    General Baker

Post  General Baker Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:12 am

Stick with divisions... battalions from the same formation are hardly going to be further apart than a region's width.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:31 am