Fatherland II & Joint CW Tech-Tre

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fatherland II & Joint CW Tech-Tre

This form is intended to be a platform for the developers of Fatherland II, a modification for Hearts of Iron 3, and those who are interested in contributing with ideas.

3 posters

Why we can´t go on like we do today...

Black Guardian
    Black Guardian
    Admin

Why we can´t go on like we do today... Empty Why we can´t go on like we do today...

Post  Black Guardian Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:13 pm

I have stumbled upon an impressive Film today, which I want to share with you, hoping that you understand the lesson and change your ways of thinking.

Feel free to discuss.
    NovaCameron

Why we can´t go on like we do today... Empty Re: Why we can´t go on like we do today...

Post  NovaCameron Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Is this another film on how we are destroying the planet? We knew this 100 years ago. It's nothing new. But don't worry once the population crashes in a few decades we 'should' be ok then since we'll have 2-3 billion. Then we'll only need 3x the resources we have now instead of the absurd 7x and growing.
    Black Guardian
    Black Guardian
    Admin

Why we can´t go on like we do today... Empty Re: Why we can´t go on like we do today...

Post  Black Guardian Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:52 pm

So? I hope your comment was ironic - just in case it was not:

I assume you don´t want to be one of the 1/3 of our total human population who wants to die to reach 2-3 million? It seems like the majority doesn´t want to die - which means, there will be fighting about who has to die to sustain our limited capacities.
    It is our choice NOW, not a few decades in the future, wether we want to change our way of living, drastically reducing the pace of our development (It is no accident that I do not use the term "advance") - finding a balanced and sustainable way, trying to save what can be safed by giving mother nature the time to recover it so badly needs.

On the long run, it is not a question of ressources. Oil will run out anyway, be it 2020 or 2120 - sooner or later we will have to face this truth. The sooner we are prepared for this scenario, the better.
    Fossil fuels will heat up the planet anyway. Be it 2°C or 6°C - but why don´t we even seriously try to avoid the horrendous scenario of 6°C global heating (warming is not an appropriate term anymore)?
    6°C heating does not simply mean that it becomes 6° warmer, but it is an average. Do you know the conditions under which the formation of oil began? Earth was a huge greenhouse back than, with thick air full of carbon-dioxide. Without the important water streams that balance the climate how we know it. Even today, the Gulf-Stream is reported to be seriously less intensive than several years ago. It has to be assumed that it completely stops if temperature continues to rise uncontrolled. It took several million years until this carbondioxide was buried deep underneath earths surface - we have opened the ancient thomb and on the long term we will return to the conditions of that ancient time. And we cannot estimate the effects of that natural imbalance.

Sooner or later, humanity will have to lern the big lesson. Either we bow to the laws of nature and return to a way of life that is in harmony with our environment and other life-forms, or we will die out. The great failure of the biggest evolutionary experiment named homo sapiens sapiens.

Everything is linked.
    Karelian
    Karelian

Post  Karelian Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:01 am

Even though I'm optimistic and rather confident about the survival of our species and civilization as a whole, the coming century (or sadly the next five decades) will most likely witness new kind of turmoil and population movement on a global scale. While I know that global warming is a fact, I find the current information about it's ultimate causes rather dubious. Solar activity has brought about eras of global cooling and warming during our written history on several times. Industrialization and massive fossil fuel usage certainly plays a major role on our current situation, but personally I still feel that reducing our dependancy on fossil fuels should be done first and foremost because it's more sustainable development, not in order to try to stop something that is (in my opinion) going to happen anyway due changing activity of the Sun. No matter how much we now cut our carbon emissions, sealevels will rise and tens, even hundreds of millions of people will lose their former homelands and be forced to migrate elsewhere.

And then things will get really ugly. Growing demand and population will meet the limits of the resources of this planet - and I doubt humanity can avoid Malthusian collapse when this point arrives. The best we can do is try to limit the scale of this upheaval ahead of us, trying to help those in need, adapt to the changing climate while also trying save the remrants of remaining untouched nature in the process. Sadly we are truly "living in interesting times", as the old Chinese curse goes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:08 am